Friday, February 6, 2009

Skywatch Friday ... With an Edge

I actually wasn't going to do another Skywatch post this week but then our aunt, who is afflicted with a syndrome known as articulitis (in which one sends ones friends and relatives interesting news clippings, both real and virtual) sent us a clipping which made me rethink that decision.

It's a really cool piece from National Public Radio about some spontaneous oil and gas activism in the States on the part of a student named Tim DeChristopher. He basically walked into a land auction and started bidding on parcels that were set up for oil and gas developers in Bush's last-ditch fire sale of public lands, driving the price up to reflect the "true cost of oil." He ended up with a bunch of parcels, an angry oil industry, and a bunch of trouble.

Maybe these photos of oil exploration in Northern Alberta, watched FROM the sky, will demonstrate why I feel so strongly about this.

This is what Alberta's Boreal forest and Athabasca river system, breeding ground of songbirds and snowgeese, fish and furbearing animals, are supposed to look like:


This is what they are becoming as we stripmine the Boreal to pull out tar sand and convert it to synthetic crude. That's the real cost of oil!


And now, a more traditional (though no less disturbing) Skywatch Friday vantage point. Northern skies ripple across Mildred Lake, or what used to be a lake but is now a desert of toxic tailings. If you'd like to know more about how it got this way, you can read my previous posts And No Birds Sang and Dig, Baby, Dig.


I hope that on this Skywatch Friday we'll all think about the real cost of oil, and what steps we can take to extract and use it more responsibly.

8 comments:

Judy said...

That is all just SO WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chrome3d said...

Your views are very nice although they make me sad too.

Noner said...

How funny that I reached this at the same time I was talking about strip mining with the hubby.

Grammy said...

I love your sky view shots.
Grammy
Missouri, USA

Guy D said...

Wow is all I can say. Thanks for sharing.

Have a great weekend!
Guy
Regina In Pictures

A Scattering said...

...and what we do to the land affects the sky and so on, and so on....

gone to the dogs said...

Edgy and clever cousin 3. It certainly contradicts the old saying that What you see( or know) can't hurt you.

Julie Zickefoose said...

Sickening. Devastation forever, for a one-time return. Who made that deal for all of us?