I don't remember her laugh, either, but I remember how often she used it. The smiling woman in this photograph of an RAF ball is not my mother. But she's laughing at something my mother, who has her back to the camera, has just said.
My sister once told me that this was one of her favorite pictures of Mom, because you could see that she was in her element -- having a fantastic time at a fancy party, in a dress that was tailored just for her.
She loved a good time. The gold lamé purse and gloves in this picture were one of many sets, and on Saturday evenings when she dressed to go out, I would try them on.
But a good time was just as easily had in a camper trailer.
Or fooling around with your children. Here she is with my sister:
And with me, and a family friend. What is she doing? Who knows. But I clearly think she’s the bee’s knees.

She had a million funny phrases. One day after grocery shopping and before going out for the evening she asked us to "throw the groceries in the cupboard while I pop in the tub" --- we complied with her wishes exactly, and while she made us clean it all up, she also had a good laugh. I still regret that we did not get "I've just popped up to heaven" carved on her gravestone.
She made bread every Monday, enough to last a family of four children a week. Every Sunday was roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. Her gravy was a work of art. One cousin came over after Sunday lunch for the leftover gravy, on a Yorkshire pudding if he was lucky, or a piece of that homemade bread. Once he had it on angel food cake.
She had a temper too. Here she is with my brothers and me in a pram, waiting with pursed lips for my grandfather to take a picture.
But her laughter, her great sense of fun, the ways she fed and nourished those she loved; those are the things that I remember most about my mother. Those are the things I like to think she gave me.
It was she and I alone together at the beginning, and again at the end.
Happy Birthday Mom.







8 comments:
That was really beautiful Sara, as was your mother. When I think of her I remember her small hands
( Cousin 2 has the same small hands) and her wonderful sense of humor ( as did my mom). Thanks for sharing this.
How sweet, lovely and funny. I've always liked to think that I have some of your mom's characteristics, I didn't realize I have her hands - leave it to Cousin 1 to spot that. I do remember your mother's voice and laugh but I don't remember my own mother's, our minds play strange tricks. Thanks for sharing these memories.
Thanks for the good Thursday night bawl, LOG. Bawwwwww.
Hi Sarah, Beautiful story. We have been trying to track you down on line, and got to this through Deborah. We are on Facebook. I would LOVE to reconnect and share photos, etc. Christine
Hi Sarah, We would love to get in touch with you. Your story is beautiful. Email us, we are on Facebook.
Love, John and Christine xoxo
Hey Aunt Sara!
It's Emma!
Long time no talk I guess, last time I talked to you was in grade four maybe..? Now I'm about to graduate! I'm going to Memorial! :) Well, if everything's work out. I really loved seeing all these pictures!
Em
Hi - Irv and I just got back from 2 weeks in St Pete's, Fla, looked at the cousins' blogs, which I enjoy thoroughly, and just had to comment on this one. One of the nicest things I remember about your Mom was when Jennifer was 4 1/2, had her spleen out, serioud surgery at that time, - Jack and Sophie came to visit with a Gropher ( spelling? ) Sesame Street puppet - Jennifer loved it!!! We associated only through Daisy, so that personal touch was so much appreciated AND remembered always.
Those of us who had such mothers had a gift beyond compare. Nothing but nothing beats a good mother--err, not quite what I meant to say, but chalk it up as another such goofy phrase.
You are truly blessed--to have such loving memories.
And, the last photo--I see your face in your mother's.
Post a Comment