Friday, January 16, 2009

Gaza

Last Saturday, some colleagues and I attended a demonstration calling for an end to the Gaza siege. About 2000 people gathered outside the Israeli consulate in the bitter cold.



Our protest, reflected in the crystal windows of the Royal Ontario Museum:


Faces of protest:





Jen and Julie in mid-chant:

Dale, thoughtful:

Hanadi, deeply engaged.

And Noura, full of light.

Around the time we were stomping our feet on Bloor Street West to keep warm, a community health clinic in Gaza that we fund was destroyed by an Israeli missile. No one was killed, but a facility that served one of Gaza's poorest neighbourhoods was completely destroyed. If that doesn't capture the absurdity of this situation, I don't know what does.

2 comments:

gone to the dogs said...

Sara I so admire the work you do and the life you lead. A very touching post.

Julie Zickefoose said...

God bless Noura. I am glad she's in Canada and not Gaza. Beautiful post.