Friday, February 22, 2008

Loony Eclipse

Wednesday I went out to watch the lunar eclipse. It was minus 20 or so --the cold abetting the clarity of the sky that night-- and I cut a dashing figure in my purple pyjamas, grey polarfleece and red down vest. I doubt I will make any fashion pages, though, as I did not stray from the front porch. I took our little Canon PowerShot with me, but fully expected that any photos taken with a point-and-shoot and no tripod would be pretty pathetic.

Which they are. But they are also kind of cool.

This was taken on night-setting. It's a slow shutter speed, and my hands were shaking with the cold, so we ended up with Valentines Eclipsed.


Using the flash, I managed to get a couple of nice ones of Earth's shadow crossing the moon. This one, just before the full eclipse, is my favourite. I like the transparency of the shadow, and the ghostly outline of the tree.


This one, taken at full eclipse, was pretty much nothing but black until I tweaked the exposure -- and revealed a tree, sky, and eclipsed moon etched in black ice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beauties! I mean to go out and have a gawk but, alas, fell asleep...
Claire