Did this make the other birds (mostly house sparrows, starlings, and bluejays but also the occasional finch of one sort of another and some very faithful mourning doves) look elsewhere? Everything I've read says no, if you put seed back, they will come back.
So we put out black sunflower seed, a wild mix, nijer seed, and the famous Zick's Suet Dough. One day, we even added a couple handfuls of almonds. And for the most part, the birds have not come back. A couple of white-breasted nuthatches show up now and again, as did a beautiful hairy woodpecker, but they stay in the trees, as do the cardinals in summer.
I think they would like the suet dough, but someone else has moved in:Hmm ... I'm sure there was some good peanut buttery stuff a couple days ago...
Maybe if I root around here in the snow I might find a nugget or two...
Bonus! A sunflower seed and almond chaser!!
If the birds aren't going to show, I can't really get too mad at the crafty squirrels. But click on the link and you'll see why they've got a ways to go in true urban foraging.
3 comments:
Wow!
Maybe that's what moved into the wall of my house!
May I gently point out that rusty blackbirds are a globally declining species--horrific declines in the past 20 years. We got a tiny flock here this winter and were beside ourselves, hoping they'd come in. Just a few hundred miles south, and we're all ga-ga over them.
I'm going to check out your Songs in LOG's Head now.
Oh dear, so I was not very nice to these poor guys, was I? But look at it this way, maybe when I took the seeds away, they headed over to your place... Cross-border cooperation!
Post a Comment