Thursday, October 18, 2007

Four Long Days

I've been out to Alberta. (Weather's good there in the fall.)

Went to Edmonton to begin four long days of meetings and travel. The meetings were good and the travel, for the most part, was pleasant. Notable exception was the red-eye home from Calgary Monday night (but it was worth it to be back in our bed, even if it was 8:00 in the morning by the time I crawled in.)

But really what made it all worthwhile was the astounding beauty I experienced on my one day off in the mountains: Kananaskis and Banff.

Kananaskis isn't really much more than a collection of resorts, albeit in a spectacular setting. I stayed at the same place that hosted the 2002 G8 Summit - me and my addiction to power!


Here's a view from hotel room right after sunrise ... my room only had a mediocre view.


Barrier Lake, which is between Calgary and Kananaskis, reminds me of the west coast of Newfoundland -- say if there were steroids in Bonne Bay Pond. My camera couldn't capture the weird deep aqua colour of the water.



The drive to Banff was spectacular. Amazed by the mountains, I just held my camera up to the windscreen and clicked. It was only when I downloaded the pictures that I saw the clouds swirling over them.


If only I could get closer to those mountains!

1 comment:

gone to the dogs said...

The sky and the mountains look like somebody painted them. Cool. You and Elaine both take great pictures from car windows while driving.