1. Zucchini plants just get too big and they crowd everything out.
2. Beans need some room to grow.
3. If you don't spread bloodmeal on the second crop of mustard, the squirrels will dig it up.
4. In a garden with as much shade as ours (though you'd never know it on a hot afternoon) you really should stick to faster growing grape, cherry, and roma tomatoes.
5. The squirrels will eat (excuse me, rip off and take one bite of before discarding on the neighbour's fence) every piece of fruit they can find on the slower-growing heirloom plants. Even the one that was safe Sunday night is lying half in someone's gut right now. Get your heirlooms at the market.
6. Squirrels enjoy jalapeno peppers.
7. At least they're not too fond of fava beans. Perhaps they've seen Silence of the Lambs.
I can't stand it any more; I'm chopping down the tomato plants on Thursday. They are becoming a waste of water. Next year I will try the beans again, and some smaller tomatoes, but I will also make a serious investment in chicken wire. Me and Wendell Gee. Hope I have a bit more luck than he did.
1 comment:
I have two words for you. Electric fencing.
Not that I use it, but I've been told by those who know more than I that it's the one answer. Cheap and effective. Well do I know the heartbreak of having your heirloom tomatoes scarfed up by squirrels and coons. Blaaaa. Love your blug and especially the photography! Lovely!
Post a Comment