And pretty soon we were in Ohio.
We stopped for the night outside Columbus, first making a pilgrimage to Trader Joe’s (the best grocery store chain in the US – lots of interesting and organic foods; thanks to Aunt Nancy for introducing us to TJ’s a few years ago). We stocked up on a few tasty things you just can’t get here, and provisions for a picnic supper and lunch the next day – including a very good Double Gloucester with chives and a huge salad that was overflowing with tender greens and juicy tomatoes.
Columbus seems like a nice enough city, except for the road rage. As we were pulling out of TJ’s, one car passed us and another paused to let us through. Being a polite Canadian, I held my hand up to thank the guy behind me and all of a sudden saw this frantic movement in the car ahead. I guess the driver thought I was making a rude gesture at her because she didn’t let me out. She was having quite a vigorous conversation with me through her rear-view mirror and when I didn’t respond, she switched to her side mirror (I think I saw lightening bolts come out of her eyes) and basically yelled at me for about 5 minutes (traffic was stuck). Then she peeled off once we hit the Interstate. Part of me wanted to chase after her to see just how unstable she was, but I decided it would put a damper on an otherwise great trip. Hope she gets some therapy.
We were very happy to get to the Inn at Cedar Falls, just outside Logan. We went for a walk, watched a few birds, and got up close and personal with a deer.
Our room was in a converted barn and once Kelly got over the shock of no phone, no tv, no cellphone reception (I conveniently left those details out), and a request not to play music (that one I didn't know about), we settled in with our picnic, a bottle of red wine, our books, and the beautiful surroundings. It was kind of like taking a step back towards our usual life, except in the middle of the woods and without cats.
The next morning we packed up, ate breakfast (more bad coffee) and hit the road. Saw more deer and the previously mentioned gaggle of turkey vultures looking like a bunch of old men. Loads of hawks and a few eagles. Not so much luck with Starbucks. Finally found one north of Columbus; careened across several lanes of Interstate to make the exit and was soon feeling fine. From that point on, steadily homeward bound.
Through PA:
And NY:
As we approached Niagara Falls, we saw some beautiful cloud formations.
And then before we knew it, we were back in Canada. It's a good thing there was the whole customs and immigration centre because there sure weren't any signs telling us that we were back in the land of fresh vegetables.
It was a fabulous trip but it's nice to be home: the coffee is always good, the meals are healthier, and Heiko has come through one more struggle.
No comments:
Post a Comment