They are wee tiny little things, but being zucchini, they will grow and they will multiply. But I don't care, because I grew them!
The green ones are a little further along, and more plentiful. Watch out frineds, you might be in for some free summer squash! (Go ahead, admit it: it's just what you've always wanted.)
And now the big pink rose is a riot of blossoms, thanks in no small part to a bunch of organic fish waste. It comes in a bottle, it stinks, and it works.
Flippancy aside, I am so happy today to see these small bright signs of life. For the past three weeks, our friends Don and Gabrielle have sat with their four-year-old son Heiko as he quite literally fights for his life at the Hospital for Sick Children. He has acute myeloid leukemia, which is brutal on adults, let alone children (who rarely get it), and he has fought back from the brink three or four times already. Right now he's in a very hard place. I don't know if he'll come out of it.
So these blossoms and blooms, which made it through a violent, almost tornado-like storm this afternoon, are for Heiko.
If you don't already donate to a children's hospital, please think about doing it, especially hospitals that aren't as well-funded as HSC. And if you are medically able, please think about donating blood or platelets.
No comments:
Post a Comment