Sunday, January 2, 2011

What not to read over the hols

Anna Quindlen.
Sara is sitting on the couch crying her eyes out, surrounded by scrunched-up soggy tissues. A whole family just got murdered. Good times!

What to read over the hols:
Georgette Heyer.
If you are in the dismals or in a dudgeon, perhaps cross as crabs or in a fit of the blue devils, you can do no better than to pick up a Georgette Heyer. I don't believe I'm doing it much too brown to say that you will be happy as a grig after reading one of her novels. If you have pockets to let, being short on blunt, you can borrow one from the Circulating Libraries. I'd give a monkey to see you laugh out loud while reading one. At least you won't be making a cake of yourself sitting on the sofa blubbering.

Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Murr Brewster said...

I have no idea what you just said, but I know I like it, and plan on making a cake of myself.

Anonymous said...

Which ones have you read? I have a shelf-full that I need to re-read and give away.

Signed: Asleep by the woodstove....

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Georgette Heyer, both Regency and mysteries!

A Scattering said...

I'm still howling at the image of Sara with soggy tissues!

FYI,check out Downton Abbey on PBS Masterpiece Theatre, starting next Sunday. Geoff's cousin in Poole, Dorset gives it a thumbs up. Written by Julian Fellows of Gosford Park (writer) and Monarch of the Glen (Kilwillie) fame.

lisarose said...

LOL, lol!

I just went out and bought Sprig Muslin.

xoxoxoL