Saturday, November 28, 2009

It's A Dog's Life

I recently went home to Newfoundland for a few days on the pretext of visiting my growing nephews, aging father, and a niece whom I haven't seen for about 8 years. Really, though, it was all about the dogs.

Sadie.


Timo.


And Pepper, aka Principal Von Schnauzer.


What kind of dog is Sadie? We really don't know. There must be some chihuahua, and possibly some terrier. She and her 4 pups, who bore a distinct resemblance to a Labrador, were found in a box by the side of the road.


I found her picture on the St. John's Animal Sevices adoption page and sent it to my mother-in-law, who hustled down there as fast as she could. A match made in heaven. The pups were weaned (and quickly adopted) and Sadie (a diminutive of Sara, in case you didn't know) moved out to Portugal Cove.

It was only fitting that she show her appreciation to her patron.





And then there's Timo, the second of my sister's schnauzers.


The first is Pepper, a dog who knows his place in the family hierarchy.


Timo knows his place on the family couch. He also spent a lot of time asleep on top of me.


I'm not sure that I've ever met a dog as confident as Pepper. He is completely unafraid of vacuum cleaners. In fact, he enjoys them.



A very doggy visit!

4 comments:

Susan Gets Native said...

Ah. Licking right on the teeth. That's OSSUM.

A Scattering said...

Does it defy the laws of physics that Sadie's pups resembled Labs?! She's so little and dainty - cute.

Anonymous said...

Great photos! I love Sadie! She's adorable.

Gabrielle

Unknown said...

outinthecove: Miss your posts, Sara. I'm on facebook at last but...don't want to followup all those'friends' contacting me so..no facebook. Which means I need to see your words on this blog. Write again. Please