Tuesday, August 4, 2009

When Animals Know They're Cute

I may be at risk of anthropomorphizing in this post, but then again, that seems to be an essential part of the blogosphere. I'd cite Chet Baker as an example, but of course he actually is a real person, just in Boston Terrier form.

The animals around our house seem to know they're cute. Harry thinks he's especially cute when he's in full display. Warm day? I must air out my junk. You've turned on the A/C? I like the cool Southern breeze.


He's very proud of his package, as empty as it may be, and he wants everyone to share the joy.


We have several generations, probably several families, of mourning doves hanging around the house this year, and as we sat on the front porch reading and sipping tea yesterday afternoon, three or four of them rooted around the front yard. These two hung around for quite a long time, particularly the coquettish one on the right. The other one was a tad cautious, but this one loved the camera.


I'm ready for my close-up.


Long after its pal had flown away, it continued to lie in the mulch and the ivy, every now and then glancing up at me over the railing and giving a wide-eyed blink, as if to say, "you're alright."

The goldfinches who have taken over the backyard seem to think we're ok too, and they sit in our tree or along the telephone wire and sing for us all day long. Yesterday evening as I prepared the grill, two of them approached the feeder, only to be scared off by a house sparrow. The two little Tweeties sat on the clothesline and watched as I walked towards the feeder and dismissed the bully, then happily took back their rightful place, chattering all the while.

These two pics were taken earlier in the season, but this is pretty much how the goldfinches spend their day:



It's so nice having them all around.

3 comments:

A Scattering said...

Harry is shameless and the doves are precious. We've just said farewell to our 3 pair of dove chick twins this year. Still time for more though...... Will ask Deb to take a spin around Glenhaven, Park Drive and Premier Dive for old times sake when I'm in CB next week.

gone to the dogs said...

Harry is a riot...and has no modesty whatsoever! I also checked out Chet Baker....now that dog has personality plus!

Susan Gets Native said...

Oh, well heck yeah...the JUNK must be AIRED.

:)