Saturday, July 25, 2009

Garden Work

July has been a busy month in the garden. Kelly finished painting the two "public sides" of the garage.


I offered to help but the general consensus was that I tend to get as much paint on myself as I do on the object being painted, so I turned my attention elsewhere. It was time to do another harvest of the Russian kale.


Also in the basket: a few wee purple carrots which needed to be thinned and were chomped down pretty quickly, and a bulb of garlic, just to see how it was doing. It was doing well, even if it was small:


It made its way into a skillet with a knob of butter, thyme from the herb garden, and slim little carrots from our Mennonite butcher/grocer:


And from there to a plate with some beets, also from the Mennos, crumbled goat cheese, a few pumpkin seeds, and a lemon shallot vinaigrette:


Really, you have to go where your talents lead you.

I wish my gardening talents led me to garlic as big and beautiful as this (again, Menno) garlic. I am stocking up on local garlic this summer so that I don't have to rely on the Chinese crap that Loblaw brings in all winter.


Alas, mine, harvested today, is much more modest:


Juust 3 or 4 cloves per bulb, but at least its ours; we grew it. It's dirty and smelly and beautiful, and is now hanging up to dry in the back hall.


Beauty abounds in our garden. In daylilies:



In Macedonian Pin Cushions, where a ladybug had a ladybug picnic:





In the big blue sky that covers it all:


Lots of good work. Lots to be thankful for.

3 comments:

gone to the dogs said...

I'm very impressed with your garden. Its so nice to grow your own and what you can't grow, buy local. I am groing tomatos, cucumber and peppers in pots on my deck. tomatos are looking good...but the other veg...not so much! Love the ladybug picnic shots.

A Scattering said...

Okay, now I'm hungry.....mmmmmm

Anonymous said...

"I offered to help but the general consensus was that I tend to get as much paint on myself as I do on the object being painted..." That's funny. No one has ever said this about you and food, I don't think.
CW