Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Big British Columbia

Whenever I travel to BC, as I do every couple of years, I suck up to (and generally win over) the notoriously uppity Toronto-bashing natives by telling them (a) that I am a Newfoundlander and (b) that I love BC because it is basically Newfoundland on steroids. We have beautiful waves, trees, lakes, and mountains. They have GINORMOUS beautiful waves, trees, lakes, and mountains.

It turns out that they have so much more. Like the world's largest tin soldier, in New Westminster:

Note Tom, ankle-hugging for scale.

The world's largest garden gnome, in Nanoose Bay:


Here I am with it, for scale:


Not to mention world's largest hummingbird, in a tacky tourist store in Coombs:


More genuinely beautiful stuff anon.

2 comments:

gone to the dogs said...

I'd love to have that lawn gnome...can you imagine the neighbours reaction???

Cedar said...

Hey! How about a shout-out for the person who veered off the highway and took the picture of Sara with the world's largest garden gnome! Ah...the moment of pure joy as I spotted the point of its red cap from the bend in the highway and realized that THIS must be what Sara was talking about--the item I'd formerly known only as the giant elf. I wonder where they keep the world's largest food suitcase?