I love the smooth, organic shapes of the figures, and the fact that the wood is rubbed, not varnished. The varnish that is used on less expensive sets is too hard, brittle, and glossy. Mind you, I didn't pay much for this -- about $25. I bargained the guy down from a starting price of $6o because --get this-- I was Canadian, I worked for KAIROS, and we had mutual friends (fellow Canadian activists living in Jerusalem at the time). And also because bargaining is a way of life in the West Bank!
Until this year, though, there was something missing. The Wise Men looked so lonely. This year, en route to Bethlehem, they must have stopped at the SPCA and picked up a little kitty. Yes indeed, here they are: Balthazar, Caspar, and Melchior, accompanied by Felix. How's that for inclusivity?
Felix-San actually -- he's a little Japanese netsuke.
And no, he probably won't make an appearance next year, but this was really too good a joke to pass up.
Happy New Year!
No comments:
Post a Comment