![]() |
| Kelly and her Dad, Bloomington, IN |
I think she was pretty much universally adored in the midwest.
![]() |
| Kelly and Grammie Kelly blowing bubbles in Jacksonville, IL. |
But luckily, she ended up in Newfoundland.
![]() |
| With cousin Erin, possibly in Eastport. Photo by Unca Donald. |
Where I met her. And pretty much adored her from the moment I laid eyes on her. You might notice a certain theme ("adoration") in the photos below.
| Pride day, Toronto, early 90s. |
![]() | |||||||
| Her 40th birthday, 2004. |
| Our 25th Anniversary, 2011 |
She's probably the most organized person I know. Sometimes that's infuriating, but mostly it's Very Helpful. She can also do light electrical repairs (I stand next to her and shake) and build things, like garden boxes.
She makes biscuits and pies to rival my mother's, and muffins to rival Aunt Daisy's. I know that may sound like qualified praise, but I'm not sure I could give a greater culinary compliment.
She introduced me to a musical world I barely knew existed, from Slim Gaillard and Billy Holiday to the Oxford Book of Carols and the Bach Cantatas. And you'll always find me in the balcony, transfixed, and often moved to tears, when she's part of a performance.
| Concentrating in concert. |
She let me introduce her to birding. Smart move. My game went waaaay up. And we found another one of those things that we just love to do together. Things that are basically excellent anyway -- like historical roadtrips with frequent stops for barbeque, bourbon, and bluegrass, or extended days in endless museums -- but so much better with each other.
She makes me coffee --delicious coffee-- every morning, and she makes me laugh more than I thought possible.
| Bagpipes in the study. Just because. |
And she is, quite frankly, the most beautiful person I know.
I look around at all the wonderful people I know who don't have someone to love, or who aren't loved as truly and honestly as they deserve to be, and I know how fortunate I am.
Happy 50th birthday, Kelly. I can't imagine what my life would be without you.
And from the look on your face, neither can you!






3 comments:
Oh, happy birthday, Kelly.
LOVE LOVE LOVE this post--and the Pride Day photo--the look on your face, LOG, and on Kelly's--priceless.
I am so very touched by your paean to love here, and your observation about people who do not have someone to love.
It is so very wonderful that you two found each other. Many more happy years to Kelly--to 60, to 70, to infinity...
And many happy years for you both together.
Who could imagine that little thang could have stacked up fifty years already? I'm late to the show but I'm signing up for the next fifty. Mind you, I'm going to need an attendant of some kind for the last bit of that. Happy birthday, Kelly!
Well sis, happy birthday. It doesn't seem that long already and if you're 50 then I'm not far behind.
Enjoy the day, and the year, and all of the time you two have together.
cheers
Post a Comment