
A little over a year ago, I didn't own a pair of binoculars. I barely knew the difference between a house sparrow and a goldfinch. Then we went to the New River Birding Festival and the scales fell from my eyes. I'm still a beginner, and frustrated with all these sparrows and warblers that still look alike to me, but the listing and classification opportunities make up for the frustration. Saturday was the Tommy Thompson Spring Bird Festival (mentioned by Little Orange Guy in her blog on Sunday); we saw 40 species! On Sunday we had 13 species in our yard, and today we've had 11 so far. Not bad for a tiny yard in the biggest city in Canada!
The Tommy Thompson festival was our first time birding with a guide since New River, and it brought home to me that the two ends of the birder spectrum are very far apart, not in terms of expertise but in terms of attitude. The leaders at New River, and our leader Matt at Tommy Thompson, were teachers - good, approachable, non-judgemental teachers. At the other end of the spectrum there are the snotty birders, like the woman who crashed our Early Bird Hike for Beginners on Saturday. By the Tilley hat, expensive binoculars and vest, she was obviously more an expert than a beginner (oh wait - I've just described Sara!). When someone in our group identified a bird, she quickly (and nastily) corrected them. People like that make birding in groups a very unpleasant experience. However, we met lots of friendly experts on our walk, too, who told us what they'd been spotting in different parts of the park.
Saturday afternoon we went on the Colonial Water Bird Hike (I was very disappointed that I saw no tricorn hats). This was a very mixed crowd: three families of newcomers to Canada (two of them with small children in strollers and one with an older girl in a pink tutu), some young couples, and some older women. I got to be a teacher on this hike, giving the newcomers (most of whom didn't have binoculars - the ones they did have were tiny) a turn with my binoculars and telling them where to look to see the bobolink which was sitting in some tall grass. We couldn't get a picture of the bobolink, but here's an eastern kingbird which was perched next to the water:

On Sunday, after our 13 species, we decided to keep a bird diary in which we write down all the species we see in our yard each day, and anything out of the ordinary we see elsewhere (for example, the kestrel I saw perched on a lamppost on my way home from work one day). It will be neat to look back and see when the different birds come through each year.
This Sunday, we're going back to Taylor Creek Park for some birding. And this is us at 8 o'clock this morning in the pouring rain after being enticed outside by the hermit thrush and the Canada warbler:


It ain't an easy hobby.
5 comments:
Perfectly put..up and downy. And it's a life long lovely habit! wish we had Towhee's here, but we don't, so needs must travel...
That put tears in my eyes. I know how good it feels to give binoculars over...I remember giving you mine. I am so very proud of you! Bird on! Sista!
I'm so happy for you! The beauty of birding -- well, actually, one of the many beauties of birding -- is helping someone see something new, or look at something familiar in a new way.
I'm glad you've started a bird diary; the entries make wonderful reading, especially in the depths of winter. On a walk two years ago today, I saw battling Prairie Warblers, a cooperative Pine Warbler, Yellow-breasted Chat, White-eyed Vireo and a surprise special guest star, a Black-billed Cuckoo. Then, back at home, I had a flyover of two big birds, high and together, "like a couple out for a spin." The late day sun caught their reddish throats as they circled a few times. I'll never know for sure, but they looked like Glossy Ibises. I'd forgotten about that.
And I think it's perfectly normal to sit in your back yard, binoculars at the ready, in the rain. Isn't that why God made rain gear?
Man, I gots the binoculars, I gots the backyard, and I most definitely gots the raingear and the opportunity to use it--I think what's missing is you two.
Nothin' like a cute pair of bird-nerds in the rain.
We keep a hawk journal in the glove box of our car - how's that for nerdy?!
Post a Comment