Except perhaps that salad we had on our first field trip. I can still hear Paul Shaw as he opened the up the lunch coolers. "There's fried chicken, cornbread salad..." Cornbread salad? Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! I could just sense the crunchy corny croutons, the juicy tomatoes, and perhaps since this was the South, some crisp bacon.
Well, there was bacon:

Thanks to Molly Daly for the photo!
Turns out we were being served a Southern specialty which involved crumbled cornbread, green peas, mayonnaise, grated cheese, and crumbled bacon. Normally, I am quite a fan of Southern specialties, which are generally quite homey. I've eaten plenty of Newfoundland comfort food, such as fish and brewis, and quite enjoyed it. But no one calls fish and brewis salad.
And so I swore to my new friends in that West Virginia gorge that I would remake cornbread salad in a way that would make them want to eat it. I took as my model panzanella, aka Italian bread salad.
You start with a pan of home-made cornbread. Kelly helped me immeasurably by making it.

You'll also need some basil. Kelly also helped here, by planting it.

Chop some local tomatoes. (Kelly helped, by purchasing them.) These are local hothouse. In another month, they'll be the miracle known as the Ontario field tomato.

Saute cubes of cornbread in olive oil, butter, and garlic. (Kelly did not help here; she was eating them.)

Get them nice and toasty, and add a little sea salt.

Toss the croutons, torn basil, and tomatoes with some chopped scallions, black olives, balsamic vinegar, and good olive oil. Season with cracked pepper.

Yum. The next night I riffed on Julie's idea of Mexican flavours, and added chilis to the croutons, replaced basil with fresh cilantro and oregano, and switched up olives for avocado.

That was pretty darn yummy too. Give it a try.
10 comments:
Oh my. That's beautiful -- and the antithesis of the cornbread salad I choked down. I beg to differ on two points: Peas? I didn't see no stinkin' peas. And just calling something bacon doesn't make it so. It was more like "bacon" -- or perhaps, a "bacon-like substance brought to you by the good folks at Monsanto." I think they outlawed that product in its blue vinyl siding incarnation.
And one more thing. If I come over (and up a few hundred miles), would you please feed me repeatedly?
nom nom nom nom....
I'm always looking for salad ideas and this one's a winner.
Nom nom nom nom...
It looks beautiful and sounds very yummy.
This is just...food porn. You might consider a career in food photography. mmmmmm. Your recipe is everything the Oak Hill IGA's cornbread salad is NOT. Including edible, delicious, and alluring.
Will you be posting on the Red and White Dessert? It really deserves its own Cool-Whippy post, don'tcha think?
We're all going blueberry picking tomorrow. I'll think of you and Kelly. When you comin' to SE OH??
I'll be the one to say it for all the folks who brought you the corn bread salad...
"What the Hell is a scallion?"
Your salad looks delectable.
scallion = green onion... see them next to the chopped tomatoes
LOG is a little snooty so she likes to use fancy words for regular stuff.
The boys better thank their lucky stars that they didn't serve ME that corn bread crap. I would have been like, "WTF is THIS sh*t???"
Yours looks positively divine,though.
That looks like something I would eat rather than the two cringing bites I took of that Southern Cornbread Salad we were served.
OMG!!!!That looks amazing!!!! Glad to be back!
G
Post a Comment