Last Wednesday Sara and I drove down to West Virginia to go to the New River Nature and Birding Festival. Sara has been a novice birder for a couple of years now; my role has been to make fun of her as she stands at the bedroom window with binoculars when she's supposed to be getting ready for work, or as she walks into a recycling bin while walking along the sidewalk with her eyes focused skyward, or as she nearly veers into oncoming traffic because she's watching a hawk overhead. She told me I could come with her to the Festival as long as I did not call anyone a bird nerd.
On Thursday morning we had to get up at 5 am, which is a little too close to the middle of the night in my opinion. Our first day (6 am to 2 pm) was to be spent "Birding by Butt." This was a totally entry-level session; we started by looking at a bird's nest in a tree (a little lichen bowl made by a blue-gray gnatcatcher) through a scope set up by our leaders; a nest is very helpful in that it doesn't move around.
They offered loaner binoculars to those of us who had crappy ones (e.g. $25 Bushnells). Now, I had never had much luck with the crappy Bushnells or the decent Bushnells that Sara uses; I could see through one eye sort of but not through the other. Apparently I was binocular-challenged, so I made sure I had books, knitting, and an ipod to keep me from being bored in West Virginia.

HOWEVER, it turned out that I could see through the loaner binoculars; in fact, I could see quite clearly. All by myself, I saw the blue-gray gnatcatcher fly to its nest and tuck some more lichen into it. I saw something in the woods (which I have since identified as a phoebe using Peterson's and my week's experience). Somewhere in there I heard a wood thrush, which has a beautiful, distinctive, wooden-flute-like song. One of the leaders played it for us at a much-reduced speed and it sounded like whale song. A little later I saw a black vulture and some turkey vultures flying overhead, and I learned how to tell them apart. (This morning we saw a t.v. -as we call them in the birding biz- on one side of the road eating roadkill, and a few feet along on the other side we saw an old wooden console T.V.: nice visual pun.)

This was the approximate time of my epiphany. You can't see it in the picture, but I am actually floating an inch or two off the ground, and Dave's angel wings are obscured by the shirt.
Anyhoo, I quickly bought me a pair of those loaner binoculars, and we took our new best friend Murr and went to Carnifex Ferry Battleground State Park for the afternoon, where the three of us craned our necks at the trees, binoculars held high.

The next day my highlights were an indigo bunting, a Baltimore oriole, and a hooded warbler (more about him in a later blog). The last day of the Festival I saw bobolinks and a golden-winged warbler. In fact, I saw lots of assorted warblers with very unhelpful names, but I guess you get used to that, like you get used to the fact that purple finches are not purple.
I became a birder in the face of extraordinary adversity: a leader who laughed at me because I had never heard of a bobolink (possibly he had been drinking); a slap from an expert birder from Delaware (probably I deserved it); a leader who actually called me Karen despite the fact that I was wearing a name-tag which identified me as Kelly; a lunch which consisted solely of white, carb-laden foods (white was a bit of a theme at this Festival), including corn bread "salad" (ok - everybody faced that particular hardship); and not a few digs at my lack of verticality (the sleeves on my Festival t-shirt go down to my knees, which will be advantageous if my arms happen to lengthen as I age).
In the end, I came away with (in no particular order) 54 birds (41 of them lifers), an inability to sleep past 5 am, some fantastic new friends, a facebook membership, and a hankering to make some new lists and perhaps a huge chart on which I can diagram my birds and their characteristics.

Some of my fantastic new friends.
On Monday I go to Newfoundland with my new binoculars...
P.S. I don't want to make the Festival sound bad. The laughing leader was great when sober; the Delaware expert became a close friend who attempted to teach me how to neigh like a horse; the misidentifying leader was a great guy who was so ashamed of his mistake that he attempted hara-kari (anyway, I can't really complain about someone who can't tell a Kelly from a Karen, since I can't tell all these bloody warblers apart); the food, especially the stuff made by Wendy of Cathedral Cafe, was fantastic; and I love my t-shirt!!!
8 comments:
We all get a toaster oven! We got another one!
I'm full of glee that you were turned onto the coolness of birds, Karen. :)
It's going to be a brand new world for you. And I'm jealous of all the birds you will bag in Newfoundland.
And you and Sara made me so happy by coming to the festival. I TOLD YOU IT WOULD BE FUN.
A-HAH! We GOTCHA!! Birding is cool, birding is fun, birding can be a laugh-a-minute, especially when SGN is there.
I regret to inform you: You have started at the peak, the pinnacle, the apex of birding. It doesn't get any better than the New River Festival, white carbs and all. There can be days when it rains, there are no birds, and Susan isn't there to make you laugh.
Still and all, birding is a great hobby, and you have just started on your path to avian enlightenment. I envy you your journey. It wasn't so easy when I started, when good bins were astronomically expensive and affordable bins were lousy; before bird festivals were the norm; before the Internet and cell phones and Twitter made it easy to hear about and find rarities; before e-Bird and iPod and all the other electronic gadgets that make our lives easier; when you whispered apologetically, "I'm going birding" instead of shouting it from the rooftops.
Welcome to my world. And no one better call us "Bird Nerds!"
~Kathi
Kelly, I think you're a natural. With that voice of yours, you can call in any bird you want! It was a pleasure meeting you - I wish I had more time with ya'll.
Last year I saw 37 life birds at the festival. This year, about five. Still exciting.
See you next year?
Mary
Yay!
Another birder joins the flock.
May you have much success and great enjoyment finding the birds!
Love you, Kookaburra, and loved seeing you bite into birding and get you some sassifaction. You're going to love taking those new eyes to Newfoundland.
This makes blogging easy: I'll just put in a link and say "what SHE said!" I'm every bit as much of a novice and every bit as hooked and while I MAY have had a better attitude going in (ahem) you certainly swung over fast. In fact, one of my fondest memories is you pointing out something very far away and someone asking you how long you'd been birding; Sara consults her watch and drawls, "twenty-two hours ago." It was amazing.
Plus, my biggest lifer: two really good new friends.
My first smile of the morning! Fun reading your experience at the festival and that you're hooked. So glad I got to meet you and look forward to hearing more birding tales!
You met Chet Baker!!!!!
In my mind, you are now BAB (born again birder) instead of LOL.
Post a Comment