This scale replica of the Parthenon was erected as part of the 1897 Nashville Centennial. It was originally supposed to be a temporary structure, but people rebelled against destruction of this symbol of the Athens of the South (I guess Athens, Georgia doesn’t count), and it was rebuilt permanently.
Money was raised in the late 1990s for the garish recreation of Athena:
You get an idea of how big it is when you see Nike in the palm of Athena's hand.
Hard to believe, but this was not the greatest wonder of our trip. No, that came after the Parthenon, when we found a Starbucks on the way out of town, after more than a week of muddy water masquerading as coffee. Good Lord, how does this country function? Hmmmm.
I took a sip of coffee, sighed, and my love just laughed and laughed at me. It was four more days before we found another decent cup, in Lexington. I swear to God, Kelly was as excited about the Starbucks sign as I was.
No comments:
Post a Comment